It’s no doubt that Dubai is the undisputed hub of leisure and entertainment not only in the UAE but also in the whole of the Middle East. You may be aware of its super glamorous architectural delights, unrivaled man-made islands that take after a massive palm tree, Michelin-starred restaurants, super expansive shopping malls, and one-of-its-kind theme parks. Apart from these, Dubai has another side that is away from its steely sights and is absolutely real, natural and isolated. This covers endless golden dunes which make it a perfect haven to enjoy desert safari along with a wide spectrum of heart-racing adventure activities. So if you plan to add a desert trip on your upcoming vacation, this post covers everything that you should know about a desert safari Dubai experience.
GETTING TO DUBAI’S DESERT
Dubai’s vast and isolated expanses of desert sands lie almost 40 minutes to 45 minutes away from the city center. You can hire or bring your own 4X4 vehicle like Land Cruiser, Hummer etc, to explore the desert wilderness. But, if you’re absolutely new to the place or here on a short holiday, it’s advisable to go for an all-encompassing desert safari package which includes complimentary hotel transfers plus all activities, dining, entertainment, camping facilities etc, as per your desert safari booking terms.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS OFF-THE-BEATEN ADVENTURE SAFARI?
- Dubai is a destination of unequaled modern sights and extraordinary skyline. But, a day trip to the desert retreats you to the region’s unequaled desert charm while ensuring a refreshing escape from the city’s swanky sights.
- Choose a reputable service provider, preferably Platinum Heritage or Rayna Tours and Travels; this enables you to feel the massive charm and tranquility of Dubai’s desert like no other.
- This not only allows you to discover the stunning desert landscape in detail but also know its significance in the ancient Bedouin culture and heritage. In fact, an adventure Dubai desert safari Dubai is like stepping back in time.
- You’ll get to participate in many desert-exclusive activities which are absolutely exhilarating and one of their kind.
- Subject to your desert safari package, it gives you the rare opportunity to dine and even camp or sleep under the starry desert sky.
IS THIS TRIP IDEAL FOR ALL ABILITIES AND SKILLS?
- It’s for everyone: No matter you’re here for nature and sheer tranquility or a heavy dose of adventure or thrill, a desert safari in Dubai caters to every interest. Yes, it’s up to you whether you should go for a desert package packed with high-octane experiences or just a simple Dinner in Desert Safari which lets you experience the soulful beauty of the desert while skipping all heart-racing actions as part of it.
- It’s a dream-come-true for adventurists: A 4X4 drive over desert sands is super exhilarating. But, if you wish to enjoy a 360 degree view of its massive beauty and emptiness, consider signing up for a hot air balloon ride. Filled with mindblowing experiences, it takes your desert safari experience to thrilling heights. Yes, it takes you on an astonishing ride over the surreal landscape across Dubai Desert Conservation Reserve, while promising you an outstanding perspective of the desert’s sheer scale and size.
- It caters to culture buffs as well: Beyond its unequaled beauty, the Arabian Desert in Dubai is compelling for its distinct culture and heritage. Not to mention, a desert safari is one of the best ways to glance into the region’s age-old Bedouin traditions while taking in the classic Emirati hospitality.
- It offers a romantic retreat like no other: Whether you’re honeymooners or couples looking to reignite your love and romance for each other, consider taking a premium desert safari that is exclusively designed for just two of you or opt to take it to a whole new level with an overnight desert safari.
MUST-EXPERIENCES IN A DUBAI DESERT SAFARI
- Dune Bash: This is the foremost of things that a thrill seeker looks forward to in an exhilarating desert safari. It involves a pulse-pounding drive across the unparalleled dunes aboard a powerful 4X4 vehicle. Surely, this is not your ordinary drive as it sets your adrenaline racing all through the experience. The approximately 45 to 50 minutes’ long drive will swiftly meander you up and down along the fine desert sands, thus promising you an adventure of a lifetime.
- Desert sunset and sunrise views: Witnessing the sun rising or setting against the backdrop of the region’s mesmeric dunescape is something that should be on every Dubai bucketlist. Depending on your preferences, choose an early morning desert safari which starts before dawn or go for an evening desert safari. Now if you wish to spectacle both sunrise and sunset in a single trip, take an overnight safari which is complete with desert activities dining, entertainment, and superb camping facilities.
- Camel Ride: This gives you the opportunity to discover the Arabian Desert just as the ancient pioneers did. So be sure to mount on the back of a camel and enjoy this authentic way of desert expedition. It allows you to see the infinite folds of captivating dunes coming to life in the morning or witness the desert sands shifting colors at dusk.
- Campsite Visit: While the first part of your desert safari culminates with a dune bash, its second part kicks off with a trip to the campsite which is tucked away in the midst of the golden sands. Your Bedouin host will greet you in the traditional way with a cup of Arabic coffee and succulent dates. You’ll get to relax in its modestly decorated tents, complete with comfortable, low-lying seating areas. If you’ve chosen a private or deluxe package, you’ll have your own tent which is reserved for you and your group.
- Quad Biking: If dune bash is not enough for you, then take to the desert on your own with a quad bike adventure. For those who don’t know, it’s an electrifying yet fun-filled way to hit the dunes. The best thing is that no prior is experience is required for quad biking and anyone above 16 years can get behind its wheel.
- Sandboarding: For this activity, you’ll have to ascend to a relatively high-rise dune and then jump on to a board that is akin to a wakeboard, before you slide your way down to the dusty desert slopes. It’s further a fun way to test your balancing skills on powdery desert sands.
- Take part in the traditional activities: Activities included in a desert safari are not all about adventure or thrill; they also give you the chance to know the inspiring Bedouin culture and traditions first-hand by participating in an array of experiences such as henna tattooing, falconry, Shisha smoking, and photographic opportunities in customary Emirati outfit.
- Enjoy a lavish BBQ dinner in the middle of the Arabian Desert: This is one of the main highlights of an evening / overnight desert. Relish sumptuous BBQ delicacies as you dine within the tent or open-air right beneath the desert sky. Immerse yourself in the ambience and further take in the exceptional traditional performances of belly dancers and Tanura artists.
TOP TIPS TO MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR DUBAI DESERT SAFARI
- Make sure that you plan ahead to make your desert adventure as exciting and thrilling as possible. As mentioned earlier, count on a reliable service provider to get this part done.
- Know that that the desert safari with activities such as dune bash, sandboarding and quad biking, is not ideal for pregnant ladies or anyone with heart related ailments or have recently undergone any injury or fracture.
- Put on comfortable clothing, and dress in layers if necessary, as it can get colder in the early mornings and evenings. Pair your outfit with a comfy pair of shoes. You can further carry items such as sunscreen lotion, sun glasses and hats for your desert trip.
- The best time to go on a desert safari is during the winter months, from November to March.
- A desert safari usually comes with shared transfers. But, most service providers give you the option to book desert safari with private transfers as well.
- Most desert safaris don’t include alcohol, but you’ll be able to purchase it on-site for extra charge. However, alcohol will not be served during Ramadan as well as other significant Islamic occasions.
So, if you’re considering Dubai as your next holiday destination, just ensure that you’re not leaving desert safari off your Dubai list, particularly if you’re a first-timer. Yes, you won’t regret taking a desert safari, as this would be an adventure or experience of a lifetime with all adventurous, fun-filled and charming cultural elements wrapped into it.