Earlier in the year we were at Disney on Ice. The kids got excited by what they thought was shave ice (at some ridiculous price!)….no kiddos, that rock hard ball of ice is nothing like what we enjoyed in Hawaii. But, it did take a while to work out exactly how to order a shave ice in Hawaii! It was a bit over whelming the first time we stood looking at the menu!
Shave Ice (or more commonly known on The Big Island as ice shave) may look like a snow cone but what makes it different is that they are made by literally ‘shaving’ the ice. This makes a very fine ice that appears powered snow like – oh so soft! There is no rock hard ice cube with these amazing treats.
How to order a shave ice in Hawaii –
- First off you pick your size (we went ‘massive’ once as it was my ‘birthday cake’! Usually the small/Keiki/child is plenty).
- Pick your flavours. Normally up to 3. There will be some suggestions ie rainbow, tropical, Hawaiian etc or pick your own (the flavour list is endless). You will most likely also find some sugar free flavour options (sweetened with splenda or similar).
- Pick your topping. You don’t need toppings but the condensed milk is amazing – also known as a snow cap! You can choose from sweet and salty including lollies and chocolate options.
- You can even have ice cream in the middle of the ice (our favourite which we only had once was the pineapple soft serve/dole).
- If you are game you can also add Azuki beans to the bottom of the shave ice cup. Apparently the creaminess of the ice cream (in the centre) compliments the beans. We were not game to try!
- Lots of napkins, get stuck in and enjoy
They really were amazing!!! There are no shortages of places around selling these delicious babies!
If you would like to keep in touch via email, keep up to date with what we are up to and to make sure you you don’t miss any life changing tips (haha) like how to order a shave ice in Hawaii, please sign up here. We don’t send out many emails and it’s a really nice way to keep in touch xx